Time is passing quickly, relatively, as life's routines barrel onward. Monday comes before Sunday gets a chance to shine, and before I know it, Friday is back again, dancing a jig and flailing her arms around.
Last week I was busy, first learning to make crêpes and then practicing a few nights in a row, turning the kitchen into a mess of egg and flour, plate-sized pancakes flying everywhere in a decadent culinary nightmare. When not in the kitchen, I was dancing the mambo in the second-floor studio, and visiting a chateau with a group of middle school students, being led around by an elaborately-costumed pork-bellied man who made them laugh and taught me loads of medieval things I didn't know. The weekend was split between watching episodes of "Grey's Anatomy" and every Katherine Heigl film I could find on streaming, attending a 6-hour ballroom workshop that focused on Latin dances and introduced the Argentine Tango, and finally mastering the art of the Chicken Moravian Pie!
Last night, I also re-focused my efforts on learning the 96 departments of France. So far, I've got about 22 down, and still three months left with which to achieve my goal.
Resume-revising, job searching, and finishing the second "Twilight" book in French have also consumed massive amounts of my time, both proving to be relatively frustrating and way more work than necessary.
School has been frustrating, and I've been totally bummed out about work lately. But today was a really nice change! My classes went sailing by in a whirl of English words -- hardly any of which were spoken by me. Half of the time was spent playing, essentially, "Catch Phrase" and the other involved playing an adapted English version of "Unanime" that I made up after playing this in French with The Host Family a few weeks ago.
After finishing my day at work, I came home and made an awesome omelette (kind of more like scrambled eggs because of our stubborn non-Teflon pan) with green and red peppers, grilled onions, garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, ham and cheese. Délicieuse!
For dessert, I attempted a recipe I found online for chocolate peanut-butter kisses. They taste fantastic but the consistency is not cookie-like at all; they don't hold together even long enough to pick them up off the plate. I'm going to lance myself into some culinary research to find out if there is a way to fix the remaining batter for better future batches, or if I just have to accept the fact that these cookies require forks.
No comments:
Post a Comment